Julie Assigned to Tanzania
After finishing her teaching degree at Grace University and teaching for a semester at Sahel Academy in Niamey, Julie has been assigned to a church planting team in Tanzania. She will be helping coordinate schooling for the children of a church planting team among the Zigua people. Julie is currently raising support and plans to leave in November. The church planting team will be part of the TIMO program.
1. What is TIMO?
TIMO (Training in Ministry Outreach) places a team of new missionaries under the leadership of an experienced missionary or missionary couple. Together, they live for two years as learners among an unreached or partially unreached people group with a shared goal of sharing Christ. The difference between this training and training you get in a conventional Bible school or seminary is that the team members live what they are learning.
TIMO is centered around these 12 Core Values:
1. Reaching the lost with the saving news of Jesus Christ
2. Commitment to the local language and culture
3. Relationships, relationships, relationships
4. Lifestyle and proclamation evangelism
5. Living among those to whome we seek to minister
6. We bring learner attitudes
7. Simpler lifestyle
8. Teamship - They will know we are Christians by our love
9. Prayer is ministry
10. Training is for a lifetime
11. Ministry flows out of being
12. High view of the local church
2. What Will Be Julie's Role?
3. Where is Tanzania?
4. Who are the Zigua people?
The Zigua are found in a small coastal region in northeastern Tanzania, near to Dar-es-Salaam. Numbering around 631,000 they are part of the Bantu linguistic group with their own language called Zigula. Like many Bantu people the Zigua can trace their history back thousands of years, with their history recounting the story of their flight east to the coast of Tanzania as they avoided the slave trade. Today many Zigua are involved in the farming and harvesting of sisal, which is cultivated for its fibre used in ropes and mats.
5. What is being done to reach them?
(This is part of the team that Julie will be joining)